At AERA, our 24/7 Emergency Department is currently experiencing longer than average wait times. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as our teams are working around the clock to make sure each pet that comes to our hospital receives the highest level of medical care possible. At this time, we highly recommend calling us at (973)-788-0500 before bringing your pet to AERA for an emergency visit, so we can discuss your pet’s case and best prepare for your arrival. Please be aware that in the unlikely but possible event that our hospital has reached full capacity, we may recommend bringing your pet to another nearby emergency facility for care. As a reminder, we are open 24/7, 365 days a year for veterinary emergencies. We appreciate your cooperation during this time, and please do not hesitate to call us with any questions.
Last updated April 1, 2022
- When arriving to AERA for an emergency visit, please proceed to our front desk or text AERA to 34947 to get checked in. If you are arriving for a scheduled appointment with one of our specialty departments, please proceed to our front desk to get checked in.
- As of Friday, April 1st, wearing a mask will be optional while visiting our hospital.
- For emergency visits, patients will be triaged by a veterinary nurse while you wait in our lobby or in your car. The doctor will call you when it is time for you to come and discuss a treatment plan for your pet.
- For appointments with one of our specialty departments, please check in with our front desk. The number of clients permitted into the appointment per patient will be determined at the doctor’s discretion.
- If you have any questions about these updates to our appointment protocol, please call us at (973)-788-0500.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work diligently to implement a phased reopening and welcome clients back into our hospital!
Last updated September 16, 2020
To Our Pet Parent Community,
At Animal Emergency & Referral Associates, the health and well-being of your pet and family are our top priority. As the situation around coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve, we want to assure you that we plan to remain open 24/7 for emergencies and continue uninterrupted specialty care.
We are taking additional steps to keep patients, clients, and employees healthy and safe, including:
- In addition to the rigid cleaning and disinfecting protocols already in place, we have increased the frequency of our cleaning practices.
- For hospitalized patients, visitation will be on a case-by-case basis with doctor approval only.
- Employees who feel ill are instructed to stay home and contact their doctor.
- If you are feeling ill, we ask that you please call us before traveling to the hospital, so we can either reschedule your appointment, or in the case of an emergency, provide information on what to do upon arrival at the hospital.
We are closely monitoring the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and local authorities regarding the spread of the virus to ensure that the actions that we are taking are comprehensive and appropriate. If you have any questions, please call us (973)-788-0500.
Allen Kaat, AERA Hospital Director
Additional Resources & Information:
COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (Centers for Disease Control)
COVID-19 FAQs for Pet Owners (American Veterinary Medical Association)